Here is my winter protective style regimen. This post supplements the video above, so please watch the video in addition to reading this post.
• Frequency - I wash my hair every two weeks (or once a week if my scalp gets itchy).
• Cornrow Removal - I unbraid each cornrow and thoroughly comb out all of the shedded hair. If you do not remove the shedded hair before you wash, your hair will get tangled and matted.
• Shampoo - I shampoo three times. First, with diluted clarifying shampoo. Then twice with diluted moisturizing shampoo.
• Deep Condition - To save time, I mix my reconstructor and deep conditioner together. I apply and comb the mix through my hair, then deep condition under my hair steamer for 40 minutes.
• Leave-in Conditioner - I use a liquid and creamy leave-in and comb them through my hair.
• Drying Technique - I let my hair air dry hanging down, with a silk scarf wrapped around my neck.
• Edges - I apply a heat protectant and flat iron the hair I leave out. Although I have a lace front wig, I use it like an instant weave. For me, this looks more natural than having the wig sit on my forehead.
• I remove the wig at night and spray the cornrows with braid spray mixed with Infusium 23 leave-in. I seal with either coconut oil or castor oil.
• I comb the wig daily to remove tangles. I do not apply any product to the wig.
I have a different regimen for the Spring/Summer seasons and will update my regimen when the time comes.
Please let me know if you have any questions in the Comments section.